Rules & Regulations
1. Safety: Safe boating conduct must be observed at all times by all tournament competitors. Each competitor is required to have a Coast Guard approved chest life preserver and required safety equipment. Life jackets must be worn when the boat is on plane.
2. Sportsmanship: Competitors in this tournament are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be deemed cause for disqualification. The use of alcoholic beverages by contestants will result in automatic disqualification. Maximum courtesy must be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of non-competitors who may be on tournament waters.
3. Tackle & Equipment: Only artificial lures may be used. No live bait or prepared bait will be permitted, with the exception of pork rinds, strips, etc. Only one casting, spincasting, or spinning rod and reel may be used at any time. No trolling is permitted.
4. Permitted Fishing Locations: Fishing on tournament waters is permitted anywhere except within 50 yards of another competitor’s boat, which was first anchored. No such anchored boat shall permit selected competitors to fish within a 50-yard circle claimed by him or her, to the exclusion of any other competitor. All angling must be done from the boat. The trailering of boats during tournament hours is prohibited. Fishing waters are not limited as long as no state or federal laws are broken.
5. Official Checkpoint: There shall be only one checkpoint in the morning and one in the afternoon, this point being Guntersville Civitan Park. No boat will leave Guntersville Civitan Park before the designated time of departure. All boats and live wells must be checked before departure. All boats must check in at the official checkpoint by the time designated by the rules committee, or be disqualified.
6. Scoring: Scoring will be determined by the pounds and ounces of the contestant’s catch during the tournament. Only large mouth, small mouth, and spotted bass will be accepted with a limit of 5 fish per boat, 15” minimum length each. For each fish shorter than 15”, the shortest fish and the largest fish will be culled. Any contestant who presents over 5 fish to the weigh master will be disqualified. No dead fish are permitted to be weighed in.
7. Ties: In the event of a tie for any place, the lunker weight will determine the winner.
8. Eligibility: Two (2) persons per boat. Single entries are accepted – if you do not have a partner, tournament committee may be able to find you a partner! Anyone under the age of eighteen must provide a release form signed by a parent or legal guardian.
9. Launch: Launch position will be determined by the order in which registration forms are submitted on the official tournament website (www.buildersopenbass.com). Launch will begin at safe light. Launching will be broken up into four (4) different flights. Each flight will have twenty-five (25) boats, for a total of one hundred (100) boats.
10. Weigh-In: All boats must return to Guntersville Civitan Park and check in between 1:00 pm and 2:00 p.m. All fish must be weighed-in prior to boat being taken out of water or you will be disqualified!! 1lb penalty for all check-ins AFTER 2PM.
11. Prize Money: Guaranteed 1st place prize of $2,500. 2nd Place prize is $750. 3rd place prize is $350. Two $250 random place winners. Big Bass Pot is optional at $20.00 per boat.
12. Liability: The Huntsville/Madison County Builders Association, Inc. and Marshall County Home Builders Association tournament officials and Guntersville Civitan Park do not assume any responsibility or liability for any claims of personal injury or damage in connection with this tournament. All participants enter at their own risk and will be required to sign a liability release form the day of the tournament or online.
13. Lunch: Lunch will be available at 1:00 pm.
14. Weather: Tournament will be held rain or shine. No refunds will be given.
15. Winners are subject to a polygraph test.